Sketchcrawl the Seventh
Saturday was the 7th worldwide Sketchcrawl, so we (myself, Casey, and Erin) drove down to San Francisco to the DeYoung museum. The Hatshepsut exhibit was really something - not to sound like a yokel, but those Egyptians knew what the hell they were doing. So often when I think of ancient art, my mind brings up all the crap that was in the works from Europe in the middle ages, and I forget that there were people before that were truly masters.
I'd like to go back sometime soon and wander around the rest of the museum, since all I got to see was the Egyptian exhibit and the Precolombian Mesoamerican wing. I guess they had some tribal art upstairs, but we started fading fast after lunch...
Then back to Canvas, which is a great way to end a crawl (imo), for the customary passing of the sketchbooks. It's always awesome to see the variety of styles that people have got, both in their style of drawing and in their style of filling up their sketchbook - some people fill up every inch of blank paper with seperate little drawings, some people use up the whole page with one, and some people put a little drawing in the middle of the page and then move on. Some people draw on both sides of the paper, some people on only one... I think you can tell a lot about somebody by looking at their lines. Sketchbook reading, or something.



I'd like to go back sometime soon and wander around the rest of the museum, since all I got to see was the Egyptian exhibit and the Precolombian Mesoamerican wing. I guess they had some tribal art upstairs, but we started fading fast after lunch...
Then back to Canvas, which is a great way to end a crawl (imo), for the customary passing of the sketchbooks. It's always awesome to see the variety of styles that people have got, both in their style of drawing and in their style of filling up their sketchbook - some people fill up every inch of blank paper with seperate little drawings, some people use up the whole page with one, and some people put a little drawing in the middle of the page and then move on. Some people draw on both sides of the paper, some people on only one... I think you can tell a lot about somebody by looking at their lines. Sketchbook reading, or something.





