Sketchbook pickings


Was meaning to print up a sketchbook for Comicon this year, but didn't have a definite direction until a couple of weeks ago... and now I think it's a little too late. I'll plan on one for next year. I'm looking forward to the con - catching up with awesome artists and cramming into a hotel room with awesome artists and buying the books of awesome artists at their booths (or through a bookstore for awesome artists who are overseas).
But I scanned some sketchbook stuff. There!

I am completely blown away by the drawings of Gipi. He's an Italian comic artist, but as far as I know his only book that's been translated is Garage Band, about a garage band and the four guys who are in it. His drawings are simple and complicated, and the eyes always jump out, completely alive. The above drawings were me trying to figure out what it is he does to the eyes to make them so catching...


