Art, plz

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Pages from the sketchbook

One of the problems that I keep running into is that I like sketching. I like sketching more than I like having a finished picture staring beautifully up at me. Once you've finished a sketch for a painting, and you've got motion and emotion and atmosphere and everything, there are so many nasty little things that can happen to it in the process of becoming a finished painting. I love looking at other peoples' sketches, because it's a window into their mind, and because sketches are just raw energy. I like watching the story reels on animated movie DVDs better (most of the time) than the actual animation; and forget the storyreel if there's ROUGH ANIMATION in the special features.

Somewhere in the refinement of the image, of the idea, it loses something. Unless you're Craig Mullins or Carlos Fonseca, who somehow manage to retain that energy but channel it into color and a beautiful end product.

Anyway, my favorite thing to watch is rough animation, my favorite kind of book is the sketchbook of somebody else, so here are a couple of pages from my book. Drawn today and yesterday night.





Hope you enjoy. ALSO: Sketchcrawl #8 is coming up on the 19th! Apparently! In Tokyo! And other places. Sketchcrawl #8 for me will be at my parents' house, drawing a bunch of craaazy teenagers at my brother's birthday party.