Art, plz

Monday, April 03, 2006

Poof.

I sat down a couple of weeks ago to write a post... it was about how anything you draw is basically a combination of everything you've ever seen - I can look at any of my drawings and read the genetics of it back to the idea it first came from, whether it's mostly me or if there's a hand or foot or mouth that's just totally Trina Schart Hyman or whatever.

All these amazing artists, and they're disappearing all the time. Trina Schart Hyman died recently - last year? - and I really wish I'd have had a chance to talk to her before she went. She seemed like an interesting person, and her work has been a huge influence on me since I was four or five... second only to Ed Emberley, from whom I got my start on horses. A couple of triangles, a square, some lines for legs, and the flowingest tail you feel like drawing. It's like magic.

Yeah, so I was going to make a post on the DNA and ancestry of peoples' drawings, only then I had to go to work, or had to log off the computer to go make dinner, and lo and behold it's been three weeks and I haven't posted anything. So here are some drawings.